JKH Training Journal

Monday, September 25, 2006

Dear Dell, Please Update your Standard PC Image!

Today I got a peak at the all new Dell Optiplex 745.  For some reason they have dropped the GX distinction on this Optiplex model, not sure why, but I can go with change.  After cracking open the case to notice just how cramped it is in there I hooked it up to see how she performed and to create a new Standard image for my clients. 

The out of the box boot up time was lightning.  In fact I was through all of the standard next, next, next, reboot wizards in record time.  After grabbing the installers for all the stuff I wanted to install I took a peak at the All programs list, and very shortly after that the Add/Remove Programs control panel.  Goodbye to Google Desktop/ Google IE Search Bar.  Where is the Dell DVD codec?  Where is the Roxio RecordNow installation?  Hmm Maybe I forgot to order it, Nope don't think so.  One saving grace is that the Embasy Trust Suite was not installed, however there was a pesky icon on the All Programs listing to install it with a simple click.  Whew, delete that.  (The Embassy Trust Suite is Dell's attempt at securing the Windows XP file system.  I'm not saying that its a bad program, it just completely hoses the system if you install it with Network Associates McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0.i.,  I learned that one the hard way.)

So far so mediocre.  Now for the thing that makes my blood pressure rise a little.  I click to update the OS thinking that I may have a dozen or so updates since Dell was able to create the image for this new hot model. (It has an Intel CORE 2 Duo Processor, with something like a GHz FSB, and L2Cache). 

43 CRITICAL UPDATES NEEDED!!!

Dell What are you thinking, shipping a new Desktop PC that needs 43 Critical Updates to the OS!  It seems that the Google Software is plenty up to date.  I suppose that's because they paid a premium for their "partnership" in the new Optiplex Line.  I've always liked Google, but come on 43 CRITICAL updates.  Please update your image.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home